วันพฤหัสบดีที่ 12 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2555

แบบฝึกหัดที่ 2พร้อมตำตอบ- Verbs(Tenses)

Exercise 2- Verbs


( 2.1)  EXERCISE - AUXILIARY VERBS
Fill in the blanks with ‘is' or ‘are'. 
1. The rose _____ a beautiful flower.
The rose is a beautiful flower. 
2. His two sons _____ still small.
His two sons are still small. 
3. My brother _____ doing his degree at that university.
My brother is doing his degree at that university.    
4. Dogs _____ the most faithful animals.
Dogs are the most faithful animals. 
5. There _____ a lot of ants on the tree.
There are a lot of ants on the tree. 
6. That chair _____ comfortable to sit on.
That chair is comfortable to sit on. 
 7. The equator _____ an imaginary line round the earth.
The equator is an imaginary line round the earth. 
 8. The natives of this island _____ a friendly people.
The natives of this island are a friendly people. 
9. We _____ waiting for the bus.
We are waiting for the bus. 
10. _____ your mother sleeping now?
Is your mother sleeping now?
Fill in the blanks with ‘does' or ‘do'. 
11. _____ you know him?
Do you know him? 
12. That _____ not mean I _____ not like her.
That does not mean I do not like her. 
13. Please _____ not smoke here.
Please do not smoke here. 
14. _____ anybody know the answer?
Does anybody know the answer? 
15. They _____ not want to play.
They do not want to play. 
16. It _____ not matter where you put it.
It does not matter where you put it. 
17. He _____ the measuring and we _____ the cutting.
He does the measuring and we do the cutting. 
18. Those sheep _____ not belong to that farmer.
Those sheep do not belong to that farmer. 
19. My feet _____ not get tired easily.
My feet do not get tired easily. 
20. Everyone here _____ not know about it.
Everyone here does not know about it.
Fill in the blanks with ‘has' or ‘have'. 
21. He _____ a law degree.
He has a law degree. 
22. They _____ gone to the cinema.
They have gone to the cinema. 
23. Only one of the students _____ failed the test.
Only one of the students has failed the test. 
24. I _____ come here to borrow your book
have come here to borrow your book. 
25. "_____ you ever done online banking?"
"Have you ever done online banking?" 
26. "We _____ not done our homework yet."
"We have not done our homework yet." 
27. Each of you _____ to pay a dollar.
Each of you has to pay a dollar. 
28. There _____ been no complaint so far.
There has been no complaint so far. 
29. Does he _____ a bicycle?
Does he have a bicycle? 
30. What _____ she got to say about this?
What has she got to say about this
Choose the correct word for each sentence. 
31. The earth _____ (go, goes) round the sun.
The earth goes round the sun. 
32. He _____ (go, goes) to school by bus.
He goes to school by bus.
 33. I often _____ (go, goes) to the library.
I often go to the library. 
34. She wants to _____ (go, goes) to the library?
She wants to go to the library? 
35. She does not _____ (go, goes) to the library?
She does not go to the library? 
36. Oh, she does _____ (go, goes) to the library.
Oh, she does go to the library. 
37. He often _____ (go, goes) to the cinema.
He often goes to the cinema. 
38. Every one of us must _____ (go, goes) to school.
Every one of us must go to school. 
39. Every one of us usually _____ (go, goes) to school early.
Every one of us usually goes to school early.
 40. He too has to _____ (go, goes) to school.
He too has to go to school.
Choose the correct word for each sentence. 
41. She _____ (read, reads) every day.
She reads every day. 
42. I _____ (drink, drinks) milk every day.
drink milk every day. 
43. We _____ (like, likes) to swim.
We like to swim. 
44. My neighbours _____ (talk, talks) to us every day.
My neighbours talk to us every day. 
45. He _____ (speak, speaks) good English.
He speaks good English. 
46. They _____ (work, works) in that factory.
They work in that factory. 
47. One of us _____ (live, lives) near the hospital.
One of us lives near the hospital. 
48. Those deer in the zoo _____ (look, looks) hungry.
Those deer in the zoo look hungry. 
49. Everyone of the postmen _____ (ride, rides) a bicycle.
Every one of the postmen rides a bicycle. 
50. The black dog can _____ (bark, barks) very loudly.
The black dog can bark very loudly.
( 2.2)  EXERCISE - SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE
Use the Simple Present tense of the words in brackets. 
1. It _____ (hurt) to know what he said.
It hurts to know what he said. 
2. I sometimes _____ (play) football with my friends.
I sometimes play football with my friends. 
3. My sister _____ (want) to be a teacher.
My sister wants to be a teacher. 
4. We _____ (like) to do our homework together.
We like to do our homework together. 
5. His father _____ (smoke) a pipe.
His father smokes a pipe. 
6. Does your mother _____ (cook) every day?
Does your mother cook every day? 
7. The train _____ (leave) in an hour.
The train leaves in an hour. 
 8. He _____ (wash) his car on Sundays.
He washes his car on Sundays.
9. My friend _____ (ride) a bike to work.
My friend rides a bike to work. 
10. They often _____ (swim) in the river.
They often swim in the river.
( 2.3)  EXERCISE - PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE
Use the Present Continuous tense of the words in brackets
 1. We are too late. The train _____ (leaving).
We are too late. The train is leaving. 
2. Look at what he _____ (do).
Look at what he is doing. 
3. My father _____ (go) to Paris next month.
My father is going to Paris next month. 
4. She says she _____ (cook) for dinner this evening.
She says she is cooking for dinner this evening. 
5. I think she _____ (write) a letter at the moment.
I think she is writing a letter at the moment. 
6. Why _____ he _____ (break) up those boxes?
Why is he breaking up those boxes? 
7. He _____ (come) on the one o'clock train tomorrow.
He is coming on the one o'clock train tomorrow. 
8. They _____ (widen) the road.
They are widening the road. 
9. One of you _____ always _____ (complain) about something.
One of you is always complaining about something. 
10. Do you not understand what I _____ (say)?
Do you not understand what I am saying?
( 2.4)  EXERCISE - PRESENT PERFECT TENSE
Use the Present Perfect tense of the words in brackets. 
§  1. We _____ (not see) her since we last met her.
We have not seen her since we last met her. 
§  2. He _____ (teach) us for two years and is still teaching us.
He has taught us for two years and is still teaching us. 
§  3. She _____ (already throw) away her old dresses.
She has already thrown away her old dresses. 
§  4.  I _____ already _____ (tell) them to hurry up.
have already told them to hurry up. 
§  5. _____ you _____ (be) to see your old uncle recently?
Have you been to see your old uncle recently? 
§  6. My parents _____ (never be) to London.
My parents have never been to London. 
§  7. They _____ (just meet) your brother.
They have just met your brother. 
§  8. Our baby _____ (sleep) for more than eight hours.
Our baby has slept for more than eight hours. 
§  9. I _____ not _____ (choose) the one I want yet.
have not chosen the one I want yet. 
§  10. You _____ (not eat) your dinner yet.
You have not eaten your dinner yet.
 ( 2.5)  EXERCISE - PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS TENSE
Use the Present Perfect Continuous tense of the words in brackets. 
§  1. They _____ (visit) their parents since they shifted out.
They have been visiting their parents since they shifted out. 
§  2. She _____ (talk) for an hour and when is she going to stop?
She has been talking for an hour and when is she going to stop? 
§  3. His friends _____ (wait) for him since 7 o'clock.
His friends have been waiting for him since 7 o'clock. 
§  4. What _____ you _____ (do) since this morning?
What have you been doing since this morning? 
§  5. I have found it. I _____ (search) for it for two days.
I have found it. I have been searching for it for two days. 
§  6. He _____ (eat) here for one week and he is not coming back.
He has been eating here for one week and he is not coming back. 
§  7. We _____ (see) each other regularly since we became friends.
We have been seeing each other regularly since we became friends. 
§  8. Why _____ you _____ (keep) this matter a secret?
Why have you been keeping this matter a secret? 
§  9. Her mother _____ (pray) for good luck at that temple.
Her mother has been praying for good luck at that temple. 
§  10. My sister _____ (try) to write a book since last year.
My sister has been trying to write a book since last year.
( 2.6)  EXERCISE - PAST SIMPLE TENSE
Use the Past Simple tense of the words in brackets. 
§  1. She _____ (cut) her finger last night.
She cut her finger last night. 
§  2. We _____ (go) for a ride and _____ (come) home late.
We went for a ride and came home late. 
§  3. Her former husband always _____ (drink) heavily.
Her former husband always drank heavily. 
§  4. He _____ (lend) me some money last week.
He lent me some money last week. 
§  5. There _____ (are) lots of people at the party.
There were lots of people at the party. 
§  6. My father _____ (lose) his car keys this morning.
My father lost his car keys this morning. 
§  7. She often_____ (quarrel) with her neighbour.
She often quarrelled with her neighbour. 
§  8. The vagrant _____ (lay) a mat on the pavement and _____ (sleep) on it.
The vagrant laid a mat on the pavement and slept on it. 
§  9. I _____ (meet) my uncle on Sunday afternoon.
met my uncle on Sunday afternoon. my uncle on Sunday afternoon. 
§  10. _____ (can) you please help me carry this?
Could you please help me carry this?

( 2.7)  EXERCISE - PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE
Use the Past Continuous tense of the words in brackets. 
§  1. While I _____ (wait) for you, I fell asleep.
While I was waiting for you, I fell asleep. 
§  2. He _____ (swim) at 4 o'clock yesterday.
He was swimming at 4 o'clock yesterday. 
§  3. Some students _____ (not listen) while the teacher _____ (speak).
Some students were not listening while the teacher was speaking. 
§  4. We _____ (play) football when it started to rain.
We were playing football when it started to rain. 
§  5. When I _____ (walk) home, I saw a dog barking at the postman.
When I was walking home, I saw a dog barking at the postman. 
§  6. She and her friends _____ (shop) yesterday evening.
She and her friends were shopping yesterday evening. 
§  7. When they arrived, I _____ (bathe).
When they arrived, I was bathing. 
§  8. While one worker _____ (paint), another _____ (mix) some paint.
While one worker was painting, another was mixing some paint. 
§  9. What _____ you _____(do) when I was not at home?
What were you doing when I was not at home? 
§  10. They _____ (jog) early this morning.
They were jogging early this morning.
( 2.8)  EXERCISE - PAST PERFECT TENSE
Use the Past Perfect tense of the words in brackets. 
§  1. After we _____ (see) the movie, we went for a ride.
After we had seen the movie, we went for a ride. 
§  2. He _____ already _____ (leave) when we arrived.
He had already left when we arrived. 
§  3. I _____ just _____ (shut) the door when the telephone rang.
I had just shut the door when the telephone rang. 
§  4. They ate the food that I _____ (buy).
They ate the food that I had bought. 
§  5. She _____ (eat) her lunch when I reached home.
She had eaten her lunch when I reached home. 
§  6. My father _____ (drink) a glass of milk before he slept.
My father had drunk a glass of milk before he slept. 
§  7. "I fell down". He said that he _____ down.
"I fell down". He said that he had fallen down. 
§  8. "I cut my finger". She said that she _____ her finger.
"I cut my finger". She said she had cut her finger. 
§  9. I arrived at the cinema after the film _____ (start).
I arrived at the cinema after the film had started. 
§  10. The train _____ already _____ (go) when we reached the station.
The train had already gone when we reached the station.
( 2.9)  EXERCISE - PAST PERFECT CONTINUOUS TENSE
Use the Past Perfect Continuous tense of the words in brackets. 
§  1. She _____ (sleep) before she was woken by the loud thunder.
She had been sleeping before she was woken by the loud thunder. 
§  2. The patient _____ (groan) when the doctor arrived.
The patient had been groaning when the doctor arrived. 
§  3. The little boy _____ (play) with fire before he was burnt.
The little boy had been playing with fire before he was burnt. 
§  4. _____ you _____ (try) to get me before I called?
Had you been trying to get me before I called? 
§  5. What _____ the child _____ (do) before she was scolded by her mother?
What had the child been doing before she was scolded by her mother?
( 2.10)  EXERCISE - AUXILIARY VERBS
Fill in the blanks with ‘was' or ‘were'.\
§  1. He _____ here five minutes ago.
He was here five minutes ago. 
§  2. This _____ the dress she wore last week.
This was the dress she wore last week. 
§  3. They _____ still young when their parents died.
They were still young when their parents died. 
§  4. One of the eggs _____ broken.
One of the eggs was broken. 
§  5. There _____ some oranges on the table.
Click here for the answer
There were some oranges on the table. 
§  6. _____ you tired after the game?
Were you tired after the game? 
§  7. She _____ not at home when I called.
She was not at home when I called.\
§  8. Yesterday I saw a rainbow as I _____ driving home.
Yesterday I saw a rainbow as I was driving home. 
§  9. We _____ supposed to arrive early but the train was late.
We were supposed to arrive early but the train was late. 
§  10. Those _____ people who helped the victims.
Those were people who helped the victims.