วันศุกร์ที่ 13 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2555

การให้ข้อเสนอแนะ Suggestions



The following English words and expressions are all used to make suggestions and give advice to people.

should

"You should try to practise English."
"You shouldn't translate too much."

Why don't you
"Why don't you join an English club?"
ought to
"You ought to read more."
If I were you, I'd…
"If I were you, I'd watch more television."
*All these expressions are followed by a verb, without to. For example: "He should visit the Eiffel Tower." (Not "heshould to visit the Eiffel Tower.")
suggest and recommend
Either use a verb + ing
"I suggest visiting the Eiffel Tower." (We should all go.)

OR use that + a verb without to
"I suggest that you visit the Eiffel Tower." (I'm not going.)

OR use a noun
"I recommend the lasagne." (It's a very good dish to choose in this restaurant.)

advise
"I advise you to buy a good dictionary."
advice
Advice is an uncountable noun. This means that we can't say an advice. Instead, we say some advice or a piece of advice.
"Let me give you some advice."
"She gave me a very useful piece of advice: to buy a good dictionary."

Speaking tip

Many people don't like getting advice if they haven't asked for it! To avoid giving the wrong impression, you can try some of these expressions:
"You could always…"
"Have you considered…"
"Perhaps we could…"
"Do you think it's a good idea to…"