วันศุกร์ที่ 13 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2555

เกี่ยวกับการใช้คำ Like & dislike


There's a whole range of English expressions you can use to talk about how much you like or dislike something.

If you love something

"I love eating ice-cream."
"I adore sun-bathing."

If you like something a lot

"She's fond of chocolate."
"I like swimming very much."

If you like something

"He quite likes going to the cinema."
"I like cooking."

If you neither like nor dislike something

"I don't mind doing the housework."

If you don't like something

"She doesn't like cooking very much."
"He's not very fond of doing the gardening."
"I dislike wasting time."

If you really dislike something

"I don't like sport at all."
"He can't stand his boss."
"She can't bear cooking in a dirty kitchen."
"I hate crowded supermarkets."
"He detests being late."
"She loathes celery."

Things to remember…

Dislike is quite formal.
Fond of is normally used to talk about food or people.
The 'oa' in loathe rhymes with the 'oa' in boat.

Grammar Note

To talk about your general likes or dislikes, follow this pattern: like something or like doing something.

Common mistake

Be careful where you put very much or a lot. These words should go after the thing that you like.
For example, "I like reading very much." NOT "I like very much reading."